Levi’s® | Recreate the ‘raw’ hem at home
This subtle detail has the power to give your denim a new cool, casual spin. Here the experts show us how to recreate the look.
Raw or frayed: whatever you call it, this denim detail is a key trend for the new season and has the power to update even the most ladylike of looks with an air of nonchalance.
Plus, with lockdown 2.0 underway and a limited number of indoor activities to choose from (we’re looking at you Zoom quizzes and banana bread recipes), there’s no better time to revive an old pair of jeans. Levi’s® tailor Jen Sharkey tells us how…
You will need:
- Tape measure
What to do:
- Don your chosen pair of jeans and mark a line in chalk on one leg where you’d like to cut them. While wearing the jeans will ensure you don’t cut them too short, you might need a helpful family member to actually reach your ankle.
- Use a ruler to mark the hem line and cut across with your scissors.
- Measure the inseam of your new trouser leg and use this as a guide for marking the un-cut leg with chalk.
- Repeat step two on the second trouser leg.
- Turn the jeans inside out and add a few stitches to the bottom of the outer seam to keep the threads from unravelling.
- Turn the jeans the right way out and distress the hem by hand with a gentle, rolling motion.
Don’t fancy DIY denim? Shop the look in the Levi’s® boutique from home through our new virtual shopping service.
Under 50 gifts